Monday, August 10, 2009

Young Adult?

I spent some time at Barnes and Noble in Nashua yesterday writing in their cafe. After I finished what I was working on, I decided to cruise the YA titles on the shelves. I was expecting to get some inspiration...and I did, sort of.

While there are a lot of great novels on the shelf, there are a lot of really cheesy stuff, too. Lots of dead girls, lots of vampires, etc. And while I like a good vampire book as much as the next person, I discovered I really think there's a place for my little story amongst all those others. There wasn't a lot of 'girls in sports' titles - like zero.

I've been working on my 'hook' sentence. In a nutshell, right now it's:

"Kate struggles as the only girl in her area who plays competitive golf. More than anything, she wants to win the State Championship and prove that she has what it takes to play with the boys. When the boy she loves is framed for vandalizing the golf course her parents own, it's up to Kate to prove his innocence and save the business in the process."

I'm still not 100% sure how proving his innocence saves the business, but I'm working on it! There's also a bad guy, a couple of interesting characters, and hopefully a nice little romance.

No comments: