Thursday, June 30, 2011

Kids Book Club--ANY WHICH WALL by Laurel Snyder

A few weeks ago, I blogged about a book club that my daughter wanted to start--here's the link.  We had an organizational meeting, and the book was chosen (ANY WHICH WALL by Laurel Snyder). Yesterday, the girls met to discuss the book.


The girls spent a few minutes talking about their favorite parts of the book and drawing pictures of their favorite characters. Then we headed out to start the adventure. My friend hosted and had a brilliant idea to incorporate the theme of the book into the meeting. I give her ALL the credit for this awesome idea--the girls loved it.

If you've read the book, you know that four kids discover a magic key that fits into a lock in a wall in the middle of a field. My friend wrote very clever rhymes that led the girls on a scavenger hunt to find a magic key for each of them. Oh my gosh, it was all I could do not to join in the hunt!

Aren't those keys cool?


So...to start a book club for kids: #1, have them pick a good book. #2, have the kids read said book. #3, pick a cool prop from the book. #4, have a creative friend come up with a cool game--or have the kids come up with one. Oh, and also have her take pictures since you left your camera at home.

Easy Peasy!

One last word: Thanks to Laurel Snyder for writing such a cool book, full of every day magic.

***

Update: One of the coolest things about the children's writing community it being able to interact with fellow writers and occasionally (::fangirl squee::) favorite authors. I emailed Laurel Snyder about our little bookclub and had a lovely conversation with her on twitter. Today, she referenced this blog when she posted about how cool it is to be a children's writer.

3 comments:

Anna Staniszewski said...

That sounds like so much fun!

Ruth Donnelly said...

Oh, that sounds like the funnest book club ever! I wish my own daughter were younger, we would totally follow your daughter's example. :)

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I am officially in love with your book club.