Sunday, February 12, 2012

Are You A Writer? Own it!

I'm developing a workshop for adults new to the children's writing industry. I'm also working on creating a one-hour a week writing club for kids this summer. And brainstorming for a panel presentation happening during the NESCBWI conference in April.

You'd think I was a writer, or something.

Does anyone else have trouble saying the words "I Am A Writer?" Usually it comes out like this.

Someone: "So, you're a writer, right?"

Me: "Yeah, well, um. Yeah, I guess I've written some stuff."

And believe me that's considerably better than it was a couple of years ago, when I would say something like, "yeah, well, someday."

No. I AM A WRITER. And if you write, YOU ARE A WRITER. Not you want to be a writer. Not you hope to be a writer. If you write, YOU ARE A WRITER.

Say it with me, now. I AM A WRITER.

And if you in my workshop on Thursday, we're going to be practicing *gasp* saying it out loud.


picture credit: from http://southernwritersmagazine.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-am-writer-are-you.html

6 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

You are so right. I AM a writer.

The problem lies less with us than the person we're talking to sometimes. They assume a long list of popular books they've seen in the stores, so explaining you're in a different place is hard.

I found it easier to own it once I had short stories published. But that shouldn't matter, right?

Ansha Kotyk said...

I AM A WRITER! :)

Kate T. said...

Nice. Why is this so hard?? Only took one breath for me to say, "I'm a mom," and I had no evidence that I would be good at it! So, why not "writer"? Thanks for the boost.

Kristine Asselin said...

Thanks guys. I know I'm not the only one who has had this lapse in confidence. And you're right, Nancy, saying "yes, I'm a mom" only took a breath. LOL!

Laura Pauling said...

I am a writer. :) I'm sure you'll run an incredible workshop for adults and for kids this summer! How fun.

Nikki Jefford said...

"My name's Nikki and I am a writer."

You're right, feels good!