Monday, March 26, 2012

Make a Mark: Meeting Peter H. Reynolds

On Saturday, I attended Draw On Day at the Blue Bunny Bookstore in Dedham, MA. The Blue Bunny is an adorable independent bookstore owned and operated by author/illustrator Peter H. Reynolds and his family. I took my wee artist and a friend--they are huge Judy Moody fans (the middle grade books that Peter illustrates) and they love to draw. And I wanted to meet Peter. It was a win/win.


The girls spent an hour on the floor drawing with Peter and a few other kids. What a wonderful experience to spend such quality time with a favorite artist. He showed them how artists can create art wherever they are (and on whatever they can find!). They drew on napkins, cardboard, the floor. He even had an orange that he'd created a character out of.

I chatted a bit with Peter about writing and agents--and how great they are for brainstorming and vetting your work (I couldn't agree more--shout out to Agent Vickie!). We also talked about how kids shouldn't ever stop creating, cause when they do, it's sometimes hard to get it back as an adult. He made the girls promise to "always make a mark" -- which is a wonderful philosophy for kids, as well as adults.


Thanks to Peter and the rest of the gang at the Blue Bunny! We'll be back!

2 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

What fun! I love bringing my kids to events like that!

Anna Staniszewski said...

Wow, how fun! I love the "always leave a mark" idea. It's so true that if you're not careful, your creativity can slip away.