Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for Fantasy

Growing up, some of my favorite books were fantasy. The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle and The Sword of Shanara by Terry Brooks were two I loved. Also, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.

Does fantasy exist today in YA? Has it split into paranormal, dystopian, and time travel? I feel like fantasy is alive and well in Middle Grade, but not as much in YA.  Or am I completely off base?

What are your favorite current fantasy books?


Barbara Kloss said...

I just saw this post through your Goodreads, and the title grabbed me ;D

I LOVE fantasy - always have. I love fantasy so much that I wrote my own. And I totally agree with you.

YA seems to consist of Paranormal and Dystopian these days and hardly any fantasy, unlike MG, as you mentioned. But I sooooo wish there were more fantasy in YA...

JoyfulJ said...

Artimas Fowl By Eion Clofer

Alchatraz and the Evil Librarians By Brandon Sanderson

Wheel of Time

I actually have a list of my faves on my blog

Katy said...

I'm reading GRACELING now... Pretty sure it's classified as fantasy. Have you read PLAIN KATE FINNICKIN OF THE ROCK?

Michelle Jones said...

I read fantasy books out loud every night to my 10 and 7 year-old daughters. We are just about to finish "The Grimm Legacy" . Next up: "Leven Thumps and the gateway to Foo" by Obert Skye
They loved "Fablehaven" too!

Michelle Jones

Alana said...

I LOVE Wrinkle in Time and think of it often. i have to pick it up again soon!

I don't know the YA industry well enough for your question, but it is a good one. I would hope that fantasy has a place to live on with new writers and readers!

Alana @
Found you through A to Z!