Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Writing Club: Character

Tonight, my kids' writing club has its inaugural meeting. We're talking about character.

As in, what makes a good one?

I'm going to have the kids name their favorites, and talk about the things their favorite characters have in common. We'll learn a little bit about archetypes, and cliches--and how to use them to make your own characters memorable.

My favorite characters of all time include Anne Shirley, Harry Potter, & Ender Wiggin. What are yours? Other faves we'll be talking about are Despereaux, Charlotte (of Charlotte's Web), and Judy Moody. I'm sure the kids will come up with others.

I can wait to see what they create! Next week's class? Setting & World Building.


4 comments:

Faith E. Hough said...

Anne Shirley! My very favorite.
I also recently reread Little Women and was stunned by how well developed and unique those characters are.

Anna Staniszewski said...

Clementine! She is such a unique character. I just adore her.

Katy Upperman said...

I want to belong to this book club of yours! I love your choice of Charlotte as a favorite character, and of course Harry Potter rocks. My favorite YA character of late is Bitterblue. She is layered and courageous and loyal and wants to do the right thing so badly. I just adored her!

Sophia Chang said...

Oh Despereaux! He made me cry so much. I've never loved a tiny 2-ounce creature as much as I do him.